Erik Brattberg is currently a Visiting Fellow at the Center for Transatlantic Relations at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University. He is also a Research Associate at the Swedish Institute of International Affairs, Stockholm. His research interests include European foreign and security policy, Nordic-Baltic security and defense issues, NATO and transatlantic relations.
Mr. Brattberg's previous experience includes research positions with SIPRI, European Policy Centre, European Council on Foreign Relations, and Global Public Policy Institute. He has also gained professional experience from the Permanent Mission of Sweden to the United Nations, New York and Folke Bernadotte Academy, a Swedish government agency devoted to international conflict and crisis management.
His articles have been published in both peer-review journals and in various media outlets including Huffington Post, Washington Post, Newsweek, European Voice, and Svenska Dagbladet. He has provided expert commentary to major news outlets in Sweden, Norway, Finland, France, UK and US among others. He also regularly contributes with analyses to Oxford Analytica.
Erik Brattberg holds a Master of Science in Foreign Policy (MSFS) from Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service where he attended as a Fulbright and Marcus Wallenberg scholar. Erik also holds an M.A. and B.A. in Political Science from Uppsala University. He is also an alumnus of several Young Leader programs in Europe and the United States.
- The Shutdown Hurts America’s Soft Power in the world (with Andras Simonyi), Huffington Post, 1 October 2013.
- Afghanistan, Europe and the Transatlantic Relationship, SIPRI Policy Paper, May 2013.
- The EU as an Global Counter-terrorism Actor in the Making (with Mark Rhinard), European Security, vol.21:4, pp. 557-577.
- Equpping the EU For Future Security Challenges Through Strategic Planning (with Patryk Pawlak), UI Occassional Paper No. 20, Swedish Institute of International Affairs, June 2013.
- The Success of the Nordics: It’s the Mindset, Stupid! (with Andras Simonyi), Huffington Post, 11 February 2013.
- The Martime Dimension of CSDP: Geostrategic Challenges and Their Implications for the European Union (with Mika Aaltola and Timo Behr et al.), European Parliament, Directorate-General for External Policies of the Union, Brussels, January 2013.
- What Makes the Nordic-Baltic Region So Interesting to the U.S.? (with Per Augustsson). Chapter in Volker, Kurt and Kupche, Eva (eds.) ‘Nordic-Baltic-American Cooperation: Shaping the U.S.-European Agenda’, Washington, DC: Center for Transatlantic Relations, Johns Hopkins University, May 2012.
- Opportunities Lost, Opportunities Seized: Libya as Europe's Perfect Storm, Policy Brief, Brussels: European Policy Centre, June 2011.